Shopping online has become a part of our lives but some still worry that their credit card details will be given to the wrong person. Online shopping is certainly here to stay and online security continues to advance. Just remember to follow these tips to keep your online shopping a safe and secure experience.
Check out their reputation
Find out more about a company’s reputation. Check out reviews, how legit is the company, how many years they are in the field and other indicators (awards and press release). After looking for these signs of identification, it is a good idea to ensure that the company has a good online reputation. There might be a risk of lacking service back up or returns policies etc. for online purchases that do not exist if you buy direct in the store. Reputation can be checked via searches of the internet for comments from others on consumer review sites.
Find out about billing, guarantees and delivery before you buy. Always look for the additional costs and payment details before sending credit card details. Look for:
- Packaging costs – these should be evident up front;
- Delivery costs – these should be evident up front;
- Whether you will be billed before or after delivery of the products;
- Whether you can track the item from the moment of purchase to arrival at your door – this will help alert you of any hiccups in the delivery;
- Whether the product comes with a guarantee or warranty for defects etc.
- How you can return the product if it doesn’t work or meet your expectations – look for information on the site about cancellations, returns and refunds. Print off a copy for future reference.
- Who will bear the cost of returning the item (postage, fees etc.);
- If there is a cooling off period for large price items;
How Secured Your Data
Always review and take care when entering information. Be sure to enter the correct details when typing in your order. An incorrect address, amount of items or wrong item code can cause many difficulties.
Credit Card with Online Fraud Protect
Use a credit card with online fraud protection. Just in case all else fails it pays to know the policy for online fraud protection offered by your credit card company. Many credit card companies offer protection against purchases made without your consent and have special clauses to include online purchases.
Record Purchase Details
After purchasing your item, always record the details of the time, date, receipt number, and order confirmation. If you cannot print one off, take a screenshot as a form of proof of purchase.
Check out Customer Support Help Desk
Reputable online store is concern on how to bring satisfaction to his clients.
Other Payment Options
Reputable companies are also concern to other payment option such as paying thru bank/convenient store, COD and others. Check out if your favorite online retailer has these option.